In our everyday life, we get to make decisions by weighing our options, which is basically how we integrate, and how we learn. Nothing is really guaranteed until it has been tested, the world we are in today is governed by various theories that have been conjured through hypotheses and experiments.
With the help of statistics, using statistical models and various analyses, statisticians are able to make decisions, and predictions pertaining to real-life situations by using statistical knowledge. Statistical knowledge help statistician to use the proper methods in collecting data, implementing the correct analysis, and efficiently presenting results. So statistics is the foundation behind how we make decisions and predictions based on data.
Where can a Statistician Work in Nigeria?
A statistician in Nigeria can work in many institutions and organizations. From research firms, colleges, production companies, banks, insurance companies, and even government agencies – the possibilities are endless.
However, as a statistician or a graduate from either a university, polytechnic, or any other tertiary institution it is left for you to decide what career path you to take or what opportunities you’re looking for. In this sense, Do you want to be self-employed or employed? What sector are you willing to get into – whether public or private? Answers to these questions will build the foundations of your career path as a statistician.
Statistics Job in Nigeria
There are several ways to search for a statistics job in Nigeria, however, the best way is to go on professional platforms like LinkedIn, Up Work, Fiverr.com, My Job Mag, hotnigerianjobs.com, etc.
Here are some options a statistician looking for a job in Nigeria will have.
- Private banking
- Financial analysis
- Teaching research
- Investment banking
- Risk and cash management
- Health and medicine
- Biostatistics and biomedical
- Genetics and epidemiology
- Animal and public health
- Quality and inventory control
- Production management I.E manufacturing management, line supervision, and quality assurance
- Commercial lending
- Trust management
- Actuary science risk etc.
Where can a Statistics Graduate Work in Nigeria?
Although in most cases when you go for job interviews or reviews, some companies do not care if you have a degree or several degrees in statistics or not; provided you have the capability and skill of carrying out given tasks then you are hired for the job.
Here are some of the places a statistician can work in Nigeria.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Institutions of disease control and prevention
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Commerce
- Department of health and human services
- Department of energy
- Agency of environmental protection
- Agency of food and drug administration
- College and university
- Army research agencies
- Communication industries
- Engineering firms
- Utility companies
- Pharmaceutical industry etc.
How much does a Statistician Earn in Nigeria?
Different institutions or companies have different rates of payment, the salary of a statistician ranges from 80,000 nairas to 600,000 nairas per month.
At any rate, statisticians working in private firms often earn more than those who work in public organizations. However, the catch is that there’s more job security when you work in the public sector.
List of Company Sectors that Employ Graduates of Statistics in Nigeria?
There are so many company sectors that employ graduates of statistics in Nigeria. Moreover, there require graduates with at least a second-class upper. Some of these companies include;
- Oil companies
- Marketing companies
- Telecommunications companies
- Production companies
- Human resource companies
- Operations companies
Responsibilities of a Statistician
- There are responsible for giving orders to departments in charge of data submission requirements, which include frequency and format.
- Development and management of databases using statistical software programs to run algorithms, programs like SPSS, SAS STAT, etc.
- There are in charge of ensuring data integrity by performing rigorous cleaning, error checking, and validation.
- There are responsible for analyzing data using statistical techniques, formulas, and calculations.
- There are responsible for the documentation of processing and keeping track of technological advancement in the field of statistical analysis.
- There are responsible for describing, interpreting, and summarizing conclusions.
- They contribute to strategic planning by identifying industry trends and preparing forecasts.